Jul 22, 2011
Seen: Black Ball + DTA 2011 Awards
After the first full day of the ‘con, it was time to party. The spot? Bar Basic for Munky King’s annual party. This year’s ‘Black Ball’ featured live painting on a giant Possessed sculpture by Luke Chueh, Yoskay Yamamoto, Jesse Hernandez, and Angry Woebots. Featuring an agreed upon black, blue and white palette, the finished piece feels like a coherent whole and looks sharp as well.
As the live painting wrapped up, attention turned to the presentation of the awards for the first annual Designer Toy Awards presented by Clutter Magazine . Hosted by , the ceremony featured guest presenters, and a video display of each category’s nominees. While one can always quibble with the results, we’re extremely happy with the selection of Michael Lau for the Lifetime Achievement award, the obvious and justly deserving choice.
- Fan Favorite Andrew Bell
- Best Online Store Rotofugi
- Best Plush Design Plunk and Pop. Anna Chambers.
- Best Collaboration Trouble Boys. Brandt Peters & Ferg.
- Best Collection Carl “Muton”
- Best Customizer Doktor A
- Best Blog Toysrevil (congrats Andy!)
- Best Licensed Jumbo Stormtrooper. Super7.
- Best DIY Platform Mini Munny. Kidrobot.
- Best Self Produced Hermes. Gary Ham.
- Best Toy from a Comic Kill Audio. Vinyl Cut.
- Best Mini Series Tic Toc Apocalypse. Amanda Visell.
- Manufacturer of the Year ThreeA
- Best Toy Store Rotofugi
- Breakthrough Artist Jason Freeny
- Most Influential Event SDCC
- Best Functional Toy. Mimobot. Mimico.
- Outstanding Production False Friends. Coarse Toys.
- Best 1/6th Figure Playge Rat. Ferg.
- Artist of the Year Ashley Wood
- Toy of the Year 4 ft. Companion. KAWS.
Congratulations to all the winners. Here’s hoping the DTAs inspire folks to keep up the great work and to come together to promote the medium we all love, art toys.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Seen: Black Ball + DTA 2011 Awards:
wow. some horrible shit won.